This is my second blog written to capture memories made with our grandchildren. The link to my first blog, "Meet Our Grandchildren," is listed below in the right hand column. Hope you have time to read some of it. Our journey to becoming grandparents has been full of adventure and much love.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Celebration of a Life

This is a much different topic than I usually post for you. But it is something I would like to share with you.

This morning I went to Aunt Sara's Mom's funeral. Papa was outside talking to someone he used to work with. I used this time to think about Aunt Sara's Mom and the many times I was in her company. Then it was time for the funeral service to begin. I was feeling very sad for Aunt Sara and her family. I feel the loss of a Mom is just about the darkest time in your life, if you let it be.

Father gave a eulogy I will always remember. He spoke of Micky's life because he personally knew her. Then he said a person's funeral is not only about the loss of a life, but a celebration of that person's life. He said to be sure to tell stories about the people we lose. They are part of our heritage. They are the legacy we are left and we want them to live forever. The only way to make that happen is to remind each other and future generations of their life through stories. I think this Saturday on Aunt Irene's 100th birthday I will have a cake and celebrate the 99.9 years of her life; a life that so impacted mine.
Hugs and kisses,

No comments:

Post a Comment